[EM] In defense of the Electoral College (was Re: Making a Bad Thing Worse)

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Fri Nov 7 10:42:47 PST 2008

On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 09:58:30 +0100 Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:
> Dave Ketchum wrote:
>
>> With the EC it seems standard to do Plurality - a method with
>> weaknesses most of us in EM recognize.
>>
>> Let's do a Constitutional amendment to move up.
>>
>> I propose Condorcet.  One advantage is that states could move up to
>> use it as soon as ready.  States, and even districts within states,
>> could remain with Plurality until able to move up - with their votes
>> counted as if they did bullet voting with Condorcet.  Approval voting
>> would be permitted the same way.
>>      To clarify, the US would be a single district, while vote counts
>> could be published for states and other contained districts, as might
>> be useful.
>

> I think an NPV-style gradual change would have a greater chance of
> succeeding than would a constitutional amendment. The constitutional
> amendment requires a supermajority, and would thus be blocked by the
> very same small states that benefit from the current Electoral College.

An NPV style change MIGHT have a greater chance than an amendment but:
      It would be incomplete.
      Small states could resist for the same reason.

Note that small states could retain their advantage with an amendment -- as
I proposed.  What might all states compromise on?

> As for the system of such a compact, we've discussed that earlier. I
> think the idea of basing it on a Condorcet matrix would be a good one.
> That is, states produce their own Condorcet matrices, and then these are
> weighted and added together to produce a national Condorcet matrix,
> which is run through an agreed-upon Condorcet method.

How do we tolerate either weight or not weight without formal agreement
(amendment)?

> If all states use Plurality, well, the results are as in Plurality. If
> some use Condorcet, those have an advantage, and if some want to use
> cardinal weighted pairwise, they can do so. Yet it's technically
> possible to use any method that produces a social ordering (by
> submitting, if there are n voters and the social ordering is A>B>C, the
> Condorcet matrix corresponding to "n: A>B>C"). While imperfect, and
> possibly worse than Plurality-to-Condorcet or simple Condorcet matrix
> addition, the option would be there, and would be better than nothing.

Actually each state does only the first step of Condorcet - the NxN array:
      If a state does Condorcet, that is exact.
      If a state does Plurality, conversion as if voters did bullet voting
in Condorcet is exact.
      If a state does something else, it has to be their responsibility to
produce the NxN array.

States have differing collections of candidates:
      In theory, could demand there be a single national list.  More
practical to permit present nomination process, in case states desire such.
      Thus states should be required to prepare their NxN arrays in a
manner that permits exact merging with other NxN arrays, without having to
know what candidates may be in the other arrays.
                  If you want peace, work for justice.