[EM] New MN court affidavits by those defending non-Monotonic voting methods & IRV/STV

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 01:19:39 PST 2008

> Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 19:56:16 -0800
> From: Bob Richard <lists001 at robertjrichard.com>
> Subject: Re: [EM] New MN court affidavits by those defending
>        non-Monotonic voting methods & IRV/STV

> Part of Kathy's argument here appears to depend on treating the first
> and second rounds as if they were separate elections rather than two
> steps in a single election method. If they could be taken separately,
> each of the two rounds would be monotonic.

Since you are talking about "rounds" you must be talking about IRV, in
which case you are grossly mischaracterizing my position or have very
poor reading comprehension.

If you are talking about top-two runoff elections or primary and
general elections, you are grossly mischaracterizing what any election
official can inform you are clearly two separate elections and are
most certainly nothing like "rounds" in an IRV election, in which case
you need to sit down and give some serious thought to the differences
to clear out the cobwebs.

There is such a thing as real life despite some of the conversations
on this list that seem to be determined to live in an alternate
universe.

Perhaps consult with your local election officials if you're still
confused and don't believe me that top two runoff or primary and
general *elections* involve two separate elections.

Kathy