[EM] In defense of the Electoral College (was Re: Making a Bad Thing Worse)

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Fri Nov 7 00:45:46 PST 2008

Raph Frank wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 2:58 PM, Steve Eppley <SEppley at alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:

>> For recounting in close states to affect the outcome, the leader's share of
>> the EC (prior to recounts) would need to be very very close to half of the
>> EC.
>
> If a State has 10 seats, then it would be 0.2% per seat.
>
> However, I would agree, in most cases, there wouldn't be an issue, as
> it would require 2 things to happen at once.  First, there would need
> to be an extremely close national election and also an extremely close
> State vote.

Perhaps the chances of this could be estimated by looking at how past
presidential elections have gone. The national data is easily
accessible, but I don't know about the state data; I know Wikipedia has
diagrams of which way the various states voted in each presidential
election, but to my knowledge, that doesn't show the margins that you'd
need to see which states were close.