[EM] In defense of the Electoral College (was Re: Making a Bad Thing Worse)

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Thu Nov 6 15:16:01 PST 2008

ZERO defense here - it is time to be rid of the EC!

First a detail that scares many before they seriously consider change:  The
EC is packaged such that each 100 voters in state X have as much power as
120 in CA or NY.
      Could simply multiply state X counts by 120%.
      I am NOT promoting this way of continuing small state advantage -
simply noting that it is not a reason to give up on needed change.

Those tempted to try to steal a Presidential election now must ply their
trade in swing states.  With changes such as NPV all states become equally
attractive targets.  Either way, what has happened many places is a sin
that should not be tolerated:
      True that errors can happen in any activity.
      But some represent incompetence, deserving more effort to end.
      And some we read about in elections should be recognized as, and
punished as, the criminal acts which they are.

With the EC it seems standard to do Plurality - a method with weaknesses
most of us in EM recognize.

Let's do a Constitutional amendment to move up.

I propose Condorcet.  One advantage is that states could move up to use it
as soon as ready.  States, and even districts within states, could remain
with Plurality until able to move up - with their votes counted as if they
did bullet voting with Condorcet.  Approval voting would be permitted the
same way.
      To clarify, the US would be a single district, while vote counts
could be published for states and other contained districts, as might be
useful.

DWK

                  If you want peace, work for justice.