[EM] Some chance for consensus (was: Buying Votes)

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Sat Nov 1 13:37:49 PDT 2008

Hello again,

maybe it *is* possible after all to have a monotonic method which
provides for strategic equilibria in which C is elected with 100%, 55%,
and 100% probability, respectively, in the following situations:

Situation 1:
    55% A(100)>C(70)>B(0)
    45% B(100)>C(70)>A(0)

Situation 2:
    30% A(100)>C(70)>B,D(0)
    25% B(100)>C(70)>A,D(0)
    45% D(100)>A,B,C(0)

Situation 3:
    32% A(100)>C(40)>B,D(0)
    33% B(100)>C(40)>A,D(0)
    35% D(100)>C(40)>A,B(0)

(All these being sincere utilities)

The method is surprisingly simple:

1. Each voters assigns a rating between 0 and 1 to each option.
2. For each option, the mean rating is determined.
3. A ballot is drawn at random.
4. For each option, the "score" of the option is the option's rating on
the drawn ballot times its mean rating determined in step 2.
5. The winner is the option with the highest score. In case of ties, the
mean rating is used to decide between the tied options.

First of all, the method is obviously monotonic by definition since both
the mean and product operations are monotonic.

Also, if a faction of p% bullet-votes for some option X (giving it 100
and all others 0), that option gets at least p% winning probability
since whenever one of those ballots is drawn, X gets a score >0 and all
others get a score of 0.

Now let us analyse the equilibria in the above situations.

Situation 1:
    55% A(100)>C(70)>B(0)
    45% B(100)>C(70)>A(0)
Put
    a = .55
    b = .45
    x = a / sqrt(a²+b²)
    y = b / sqrt(a²+b²)
The claimed equilibrium is this:
    The first 55% of the voters rate A(1)>C(x)>B(0),
    the other 45% of the voters rate B(1)>C(y)>A(0).
The mean ratings are