[EM] In defense of the Electoral College (was Re: Making a Bad

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 18:05:14 PST 2008

> From: Jonathan Lundell <jlundell at pobox.com>
> Subject: Re: [EM] In defense of the Electoral College (was Re: Making
>        a Bad Thing Worse)

>> --- En date de : Ven 7.11.08, Markus Schulze <markus.schulze at
>> alumni.tu-berlin.de> a ?crit :
>> > Second: It makes it possible that the elections
>> > are run by the governments of the individual
>> > states and don't have to be run by the central
>> > government.
>>
>> I especially agree with this second point, or at least that it has
>> been
>> a good thing that the elections have not been conducted by a single
>> authority.

IRV proponents must oppose the national popular vote because IRV/STV
has to be centrally counted because it is not precinct or state
summable.

I.e. IRV would necessitate that the federal government be responsible
for counting all the nation's ballots if IRV were used to elect the
President - so we can expect all IRV/STV proponents to oppose national
popular vote for president.

Kathy