[EM] Auctions

Greg Nisbet gregory.nisbet at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 00:53:15 PDT 2008

Voting by auction-- morally repugnant but strategy free!

The simple, humble Clarke tax method does seem a bituh unfair to me.
There are various ways to remedy this problem like having it be based
on the log of your income or making it based on how much income you
have left as a means of judging how much you have contributed. There
is a near endless number of ways to tweak this in order to amount to
something useful.

Here is my question:

Let's say voters have this imaginary currency. It is a multiwinner
race and they can distribute as much as they want to each candidate.
Let's say you take the (relatively) extreme measure of determining the
winners according to (what essentially amounts to...) naive Range
voting. Now go back and eliminate any ballot that overvoted.. Or
instead of elimination for overvoting, you could use some other method
of reallocation, the point is simple:

The methods will be based on naive Range. You determine the first set
of winners this way. (You could conceivably use naive approval or
naive something else, but what is the point...) ; )

auction-type methods rely on weakening overvotes rather than the more
traditional elect one candidate and then punish the supporters.

As a starting point, let me explain what I mean by Naive Auction Range
before before proposing more complicated methods. Here is how it
works.

1) Voters fill out a range ballot. An ordinary Range ballot

2) The Naive Range winners are calculated.

3) you go back and eliminate any ballots that have voted more than
whatever the individual maximum score was (in this case 99)

4) go to 2

We can make an improvement to this: Naive Reweighted Auction Range

instead of eliminating overvoting ballots, change their weight such
that they are no longer overvoting.

You could make arule that once it gets to one tenth or some arbitrary
number it is no longer counted to prevent infinite loops.

You could also make an "eliinated" ballot simply become a Cumulative
Vote ballot instead.

To my knowledge, acution type iteration hasn't really been discussed.

Disclaimer: it is about 1 AM and I ate way too much candy. I also
didn't look very hard for previous mentions of a similar topic.

Greg Nisbet
The Ten Commandments contain 297 words. The Bill of Rights is stated
in 463 words. Lincoln's Gettysburg Address contains 266 words. A
recent federal directive to regulate the price of cabbage contains
26,911 words. – The Atlanta Journal