[Election-Methods] [english 94%] Re: D(n)MAC/RB

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Tue May 27 15:40:22 PDT 2008

Dear Forest,

a quick calculation for your suggestion (please check!) gives:

Winning probability for A under full cooperation of the A1 and A2 voters:
(16+4*8)/81 + 8/27*1/2*2/3 = 56/81 = approx. 70% (OK)

Gain in expected utility for the A1 voters when reducing their
cooperation by an infinitesimal epsilon:
epsilon*(
   4*3*(2/3)²*1/3*(
      1/2*1/3*(alpha1-alpha)
      + 1/2*1/3*(alpha2-alpha)
      + 2/3*(beta-alpha) )
   + 8/27*1/2*(
      (alpha1-alpha)
      + 1/3*1/(2/3)*(alpha1-alpha) )
)
= epsilon/27*(14alpha1+8alpha2+16beta-38alpha)

In this, alpha[1|2] and beta are the utilities of A[1|2] and B for the
A1 voters. We may assume that alpha1=1 and beta=0.

The A1 voters have no incentive to reduce their cooperation as long as
the above gain is <0, i.e. when alpha>(7+4alpha2)/19. The latter is
always true when alpha>58%. Similarly, the A2 voters will fully
cooperate when they rate A at least at 58% the way from B to their
favourite A2.

This is good, however with pure Random Approval as fallback it is even
better, it seems: The gain then changes to
epsilon*(
   4*3*(2/3)²*1/3*(
      2/3*(beta-alpha) )
   + 8/27*(
      (alpha1-alpha)
      + 1/3*1/(2/3)*(alpha1-alpha) )
)
= epsilon/27*(12alpha1+16beta-28alpha)
which is negative even when alpha>3/7 only!

(Please double-check these calculations!)

Yours, Jobst