[Election-Methods] Partisan Politics

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun May 18 14:31:16 PDT 2008

Single-seat districts (the usual ones) provide very tight regional
representation / proportionality. Political proportionality on the
other hand is very poor.

Multi-member districts provide less strict regional proportionality
but better political proportionality.

The number of seats per district is important. If one district has 5
seats and another has 10 seats the chances of small groups to get
their candidates elected is different. The number of seats sets a
limit on the size of the parties that they must reach to get their
first seat (the case with one seat only is an extreme case that
typically favours two large parties with about 50% support each).

In Finland there is currently one electoral reform proposal (with
support of majority of the parties) under discussion. The current
proposal gets rid of the current calculation rules that threat
different size districts differently. The basic idea is that the
number of representatives that each party will get will be counted
first at national level, and then the seats will be distributed to
the districts so that both political and regional proportionality
requirements will be met.

In the proposed system votes of a small group will thus be summed up
at national level. Even if the votes at some district would not be
enough to get even one seat the sum of votes in several districts may
be enough to guarantee one seat (that will be allocated to that group
in one of the districts).

(The proposed system contains currently also a general threshold
level that parties need to reach to get any seats, but that's another
story.)

The system is not STV based but open party list based, so it is quite
straight forward to sum up the votes of candidates of each opinion
group although the candidates are different at different districts.

It is thus possible to implement both regional and political
proportionality at the same time. And that is possible even if the
voters (of small parties/groupings) would be "forced" to vote
candidates of their own district.

Juho