[Election-Methods] method design challenge +new method AMP

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Fri May 9 10:27:40 PDT 2008

Dear Juho,

you wrote:
> Yes, but as I see it the reasons are different. In a typical non-
> deterministic method like random ballot I think it is the intention
> to give all candidates with some support also some probability of
> becoming elected.

Not at all! At least in those non-deterministic methods which I design
the goal is to make it probable that the voters implement a strategic
equilibrium in which a compromise option (instead of the favourite of a
mere majority) will be elected with (near) certainty. But for such an
equilibrium to exist in the first place, the method cannot be
majoritarian, since then the majority would have no incentive at all to
cooperate. Instead, all voters must have some power, not only those
belonging to the majority, and therefore each voter is given control
over an equal amount of winning probability. Still, the goal is not
that they assign this amount to their favourite option but that they
"trade" it in some controlled way, in order to elect a compromise which
makes all the cooperating voters better off than without the trading!

Since at the same time, voting shall be secret, the trading cannot be
expected to be performed by open negotiations between the voters, but
it must be facilitated by some mechanism which trades winning
probabilities automatically depending on the preference information on
the voters' ballots.

If then in certain situations it happens that not much trading actually
takes place, so that the winning probabilities remain with the voters'
favourites, then this is only an indication that no sufficiently
attractive compromise options existed in that situation. But whenever
such an option does exist, the goal of non-deterministic methods like
DFC, D2MAC, and AMP is that voters recognize that they are better off
with the compromise than with the benchmark Random Ballot solution, and
that they can bring about the election of the compromise by safely
indicating their willingness to trade their share of the winning
probability, without running the risk of being cheated by the other
faction(s).

D2MAC is quite good at this if only the compromise option is
sufficiently attractive, but not in a situation which is as narrow as
the one I gave at the beginning of this thread. AMP is better there,
but it is not monotonic unfortunately.

Yours, Jobst