[Election-Methods] IRV ballot is at least as fair as FPTP ballot

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Sat May 3 21:29:19 PDT 2008

On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 5:51 PM, Stéphane Rouillon
<stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Of course,
>
>  I supposed that the information provided from ballots was sincere....

And just what State do you live in where you will have opportunity to
review the ballots that have been secured and reconciled to prevent
ballot tampering, ballot box stuffing, and ballot substitution?

I don't know of one state that provides that.

Apparently you misspoke (like I do myself frequently) and you meant to
say reviewing the actual "ballots" rather than election data.

OK, If you can review all the secured ballots, then you can determine
how voters voted, but not necessarily voter strategy that prevented
some savy strategic voters from expressing exactly their preferences.

However, even despite some voters using strategy because they realize
that IRV fundamentally does not work the way it is intended to, you
will undoubtedly find ample number of cases of candidates "winning"
elections who were not preferred by most voters.

>  And I supposed that the outcome that would have been obtained
>  if all voters had voted like a particular voter would give 100%
>  satisfaction to this particular voter.

I'm not sure what your above sentence means. It seems to me that you
saying that you think all voters would vote exactly alike (like a
particular voter) so I doubt that is what you mean to communicate.

Cheers,

Kathy