[Election-Methods] [english 94%] Re: method design challenge +new method AMP

raphfrk at netscape.net raphfrk at netscape.net
Sat May 3 09:08:14 PDT 2008

Juho wrote:

> Here's an example on how the proposed method might work.

> I'll use your set of votes but only the rankings.

> 51: A>C>B

> 49: B>C>A

> Let's then reverse the votes to see who the voters don't like.

> 51: B>C>A

> 49: A>C>B

> Then we'll use STV (or some other proportional method) to select 2 ?

> (=3-1) candidates. STV would elect B and A. B and A are thus the ?

> worst candidates (proportionally determined) that will be eliminated. ?

> Only C remains and is the winner.

This is not? clone independent.

52: A>C>B

48: B>C>A

B+A 'elected', so C wins

However, if it is changed to

26: A1>A2>C>B

26: A2>A1>C>B

48: B>C>A1>A2

Since 3 are now elected, it requires 25% of the vote per candidate elected.

the 52 block can 'elect' B and C and the 48 block elects A2.

This means that A1 wins as he isn't picked.

One possible solution to the clone issue is to scale the number of candidates to first choice vote.

In effect, in the STV stage, the quota for each candidate would be equal to the number of first choice votes the candidate received.

To be 'elected', the candidate would have to exceed the quota.

The first candidate to be eliminated becomes the winner.

Reversed votes:

26: B>C>A1>A2

26: B>C>A2>A1

48: A2>A1>C>B

Quotas (number of first choices in original ballots):

A2: 26

A1: 26

C: 0

B: 48

Round 1:

A1: 0

A2: 48

B: 52

C: 0

B exceeds quota by 4 and A2 exceeds quota by 22

Round 2:

A1: 22 (-26)

A2*: 26 (+26)

B*: 48 (-4)