[Election-Methods] [english 94%] Re: method design challenge + new method AMP

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 2 13:59:04 PDT 2008

Here's an example on how the proposed method might work.

I'll use your set of votes but only the rankings.
51: A>C>B
49: B>C>A

Let's then reverse the votes to see who the voters don't like.
51: B>C>A
49: A>C>B

Then we'll use STV (or some other proportional method) to select 2
(=3-1) candidates. STV would elect B and A. B and A are thus the
worst candidates (proportionally determined) that will be eliminated.
Only C remains and is the winner.

- I used only rankings => also worse than "52 point" compromise
candidates would be elected
- I didn't use any lotteries => C will be elected with certainty

Juho