[Election-Methods] YN model - simple voting model in which range optimal, others not

Warren Smith warren.wds at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 20:24:57 PDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 6:21 PM, Dave Ketchum <davek at clarityconnect.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 13:51:42 -0400 you wrote:
>  >> I went thru several thoughts:
>  >>      Did you make up the data?
>  >
>  >
>  > --yes.
>  >
>  So I question the quality:
>       Why is Plurality not going to be neutral, echoing data biases in the
>  reported results?
>       Why should Condorcet be blamed if, presented with voters biased
>  toward Ns, it [produces vote counts biased toward Ns?

--well, the voters were not biased toward Ns - they were biased toward Ys!

However, I agree that because this IS made-up data,
it may not have a great deal of relevance to
the real world.

As a matter of principle, though, it seems disturbing that Y-biased
voters could elect NNNN. But as a matter of practice, it perhaps is
rare enough that it has little impact.

>  I am not claiming that the presented data could not happen, only that it
>  does not represent a likely standard pattern.

--your claim is plausibly true.

>  EXCEPT, it looks like selection of a collection of voters with attributes
>  that wuld make them vote as you desired, rather than a random collection.

--definitely true. They were constructed to demonstrate the paradox
could happen.

I would like to know more about how common this is and how serious it
can be and for which
voting methods.