[Election-Methods] A better IRV (was Re: Range Voting won't eliminate spoilers)

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Mon Mar 24 02:24:07 PDT 2008

Steve Eppley wrote  (Sun Mar 23  2008):
I've no idea what Chris meant below when he claimed plain IRV would
provide "extra meaningful choices" compared to IRV//Withdrawal.

Steve,
I didn't claim any such thing. In reply to your statement that

"IRV might cause polarization even worse than what we already have.."

I wrote
Some people might think that (for many elections) providing voters with extra
meaningful choices is more important than  "reducing polarisation".

"What we already have" isn't IRV//Withdrawal.  I was addressing your apparent
suggestion that IRV might be worse than FPP.

49: A
24: B (sincere is B>C)
27: C>B

"I find Chris' "Later No Harm" example utterly uncompelling.  Candidates
B & C are clones who appear to be nearly identical on the issues, since
the supporters of A are indifferent between B & C.  Thus there's no
reason to believe voters would be significantly harmed by electing B
instead of C or C instead of B."

My example makes no mention of any "issues", nor makes any distinction
between harm that is "significant" or not. It just demonstrates that your
suggested withdrawal option breaks IRV's Later-no-Harm guarantee.

"Furthermore, if the supporters of A are not truly indifferent between B
& C, they've apparently harmed themselves by (strategically?)
truncating.  They've taken away A's ability to improve the outcome for
them by withdrawing."

Yes, but that is irrelevant. My example says nothing about the A voters'
sincere preferences. The A candidate might have correctly predicted that
he would win the IRV election and announced in advance that he wouldn't
withdraw. Maybe the A voters have a weak preference among B and C or
maybe they are indifferent.

"Regarding Chris' "philosophical" opposition to letting candidates affect
the outcome after the votes are cast, I'll point out that parliamentary
systems give them much more of that sort of power.  Members of
parliament negotiating to pick the prime minister and the rest of the
cabinet aren't bound by preferences of the voters,..."

Members of parliament are not "candidates", they have already been elected
(to seats in parliament, purely by voters exercising their votes).

"..I must wonder if Chris' opposition to parliamentary systems
is greater than his opposition to Withdrawal."

I didn't say that I oppose parliamentary systems, and that is a separate issue.

"Assuming Chris' opposition to Withdrawal based on his philosophical
opposition against giving candidates any influence over the result after
the votes are cast isn't kneejerk, he seems to believe Withdrawal
negotiations would tend to benefit the candidates or their parties at
the expense of the voters.  Why?"

Earlier you seem to recognize that some candidates (including some who
win) are corrupt. The scenario I gave is a recipe for corruption and/or the
appearance of corruption. Maybe A can corruptly induce C to *not* withdraw.
Maybe C is corrupt and won't withdraw without some payoff from B.

On the other hand maybe C isn't corrupt, but decides for some other reason to
not withdraw. Then C is likely to be exposed to acrimony form B>A voters and the
suspicion that C secretly took a bribe from (and/or was threatened by) A or some
powerful A supporter/s.

It is much better to leave it in the hands of the voters exercising their votes through
a neutral unbiased algorithm.

Chris Benham