[Election-Methods] A better IRV (was Re: Range Voting won't eliminate spoilers)

Steve Eppley SEppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Sun Mar 23 19:08:01 PDT 2008

Hi,

I've no idea what Chris meant below when he claimed plain IRV would
provide "extra meaningful choices" compared to IRV//Withdrawal.  I
believe he has that backward, that plain IRV deters candidates from
competing at compromise positions by making those positions falsely
appear relatively unpopular.

It would be nice if more IRVings would admit, as Chris seems to have
done here, that IRV won't reduce polarization and that other methods
would.  He might be right that "some people" won't consider polarization
as bad as other voting method flaws, but from what I gather, most people
do want to greatly reduce polarization.

I don't know where Chris got the idea that my preference for
IRV//Withdrawal over plain IRV is based on a preference for criteria
like Condorcet and Minimal Defense over Later No Harm.  Rather, I want
to reduce spoiling, and I especially want to increase competition to be
the "best compromise" since (1) that would reduce polarization and (2)
it would tend to elect less corrupt winners by allowing voters to rank
less corrupt (compromise) candidates over more corrupt (compromise)
candidates.

I find Chris' "Later No Harm" example utterly uncompelling.  Candidates
B & C are clones who appear to be nearly identical on the issues, since
the supporters of A are indifferent between B & C.  Thus there's no
reason to believe voters would be significantly harmed by electing B
instead of C or C instead of B.

Furthermore, if the supporters of A are not truly indifferent between B
& C, they've apparently harmed themselves by (strategically?)
truncating.  They've taken away A's ability to improve the outcome for
them by withdrawing.

Finally, proper analysis of the scenario must not neglect that the
incentives induced by Withdrawal begin to act on A, B & C long before
election day to lead them to compete to be the best compromise.
(Throughout their political careers, if Withdrawal or another
compromise-promoting voting method becomes ubiquitous.)  If they are
near each other on the issues, why should we fret over election day
voter strategizing?

Regarding Chris' "philosophical" opposition to letting candidates affect
the outcome after the votes are cast, I'll point out that parliamentary
systems give them much more of that sort of power.  Members of
parliament negotiating to pick the prime minister and the rest of the
cabinet aren't bound by preferences of the voters, whereas with the
Withdrawal option the only power candidates have is to step out of the
way of their supporters' next preferred candidate.  With Withdrawal,
they can't determine the outcome except within certain bounds set by the
votes.  So I must wonder if Chris' opposition to parliamentary systems
is greater than his opposition to Withdrawal.

Assuming Chris' opposition to Withdrawal based on his philosophical
opposition against giving candidates any influence over the result after
the votes are cast isn't kneejerk, he seems to believe Withdrawal
negotiations would tend to benefit the candidates or their parties at
the expense of the voters.  Why? (Philosophy is not a compelling argument.)

Regards,
Steve