[Election-Methods] Partisan Politics

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sun Mar 23 11:05:24 PDT 2008

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 18:17:48 -0500 Fred Gohlke wrote:
> Good Afternoon, David
>
> re: "How would you do better?"
>
> Well, for starters, I'd ponder ways to empower the electorate by
> harnessing our nature and de-emphasizing partisanship.  I'm sure there
> are many ways that can be done.  You'll find an outline of one
> possibility at
>
> [Election-Methods]
> Selecting Leaders From The People
> Monday, February 4th, 2008

I see an 'Election Commission' there.  I see nothing about keeping them
honest, which was the current topic.

The context was parties.  I understand you would not have parties, but I
have seen no mention of a magic spell that might do away with greed.

> re: "Somehow that is a disconnect from what I had said."
>
> Perhaps.  I, too, sometimes get the sense that we are talking at cross
> purposes.  My purpose is, and has been, to call attention to the dangers
> inherent in allowing two political parties to maintain a stranglehold on
> our nation's political infrastructure. I offered a brief overview of the
> problem in my initial post on this topic:
>
> [Election-Methods]
> Partisan Politics
> Sunday, March 2nd, 2008

You offer beginnings of an idea that is DIFFERENT.

Yet, it has possibilities, so I commented a bit.

Here we stumbled a bit, for:
      I wrote of groups electing legislators without parties, with size of
groups being self-controlled to get size of legislature desired.
      You responded with a thought that size of groups was based on a
constant, such that a larger population would result in too many legislators.
      I clarified that size of legislature and population to be served
controlled acceptable size of groups.
      Then you combined two thoughts, which puzzle when placed in the same
paragraph (since my thoughts were tailored to EXACTLY that desire):
>> The question I'm interested in, though, is how the
>> legislators are selected.  Who names the candidates?  Would we not be
>> better off finding a way to select them from among ourselves?
      So I said 'disconnect'.

> Fred
                  If you want peace, work for justice.