[Election-Methods] Partisan Politics

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Mar 16 23:35:15 PDT 2008

On Mar 17, 2008, at 3:02 , Fred Gohlke wrote:

> re: "As you can see my concerns and possible improvements that I'd
> like
> to study are mainly in the areas of privacy of the votes and in
> proportional representation."
>
> As far as I'm concerned, the voting process should be secret.
> Obviously, if one person gets two votes, it is obvious how the
> other two
> people voted.  Until then, I see no reason why one should be
> required to
> divulge their vote.

I prefer secret votes in political elections since that allows voters
to give their sincere opinions better. The problem is just that in
groups of three one can not expect one's vote to remain secret, and
that may impact one's voting behaviour.

> Isn't proportional representation a party concept; the idea that one
> group of partisans should have a number of representatives
> proportional
> to their part of the electorate?  As long as you think parties are
> necessary, you will have to seek that goal.  The Active Democracy
> concept does much better:  Each person elected represents the same
> number of people ... and I think people are more important than
> parties,
> by a long shot.

Proportional representation is in a way a "party concept" (but not
necessarily one that would strengthen the party control in the way
that you described as negative.

PR can also be applied to areas. Eg. the number of representatives
from each state can be in proportion to the number of citizens there.

PR may make the voters and their different opinions better
represented in the way that it allows also small groups to have their
voice heard by giving them a small number of representatives.

There are also PR methods like STV that do not assume a party
structure (maybe that would appeal to you). It is however possible
that a party structure will emerge (or stay) even if the method
itself would not recognize any such structure among the candidates.
This may apply to your method too. I think also you felt that this is
natural and good if not too strong / power seeking.

One way of allowing richer set of opinions than what large monolithic
parties would provide is to allow a hierarchy of opinions (smaller
groupings within a party etc.).

I do not "seek the goal" of making parties dominant but I find it
natural (and to some extent even unavoidable) that people do group
together with other similar minded people. Also voters may prefer to
see some structure in the potentially vast array of candidates that
they need to choose from.

Juho