[Election-Methods] Partisan Politics

Fred Gohlke fredgohlke at verizon.net
Sun Mar 16 18:02:45 PDT 2008

Good Evening, Juho

re: "... where the political parties break out from their simple role as
groups of similar minded people and start exercising power outside of
the role originally planned for them."

That's close.

re: "The problem thus is that since the votes in practice are not secret
bad mannered people like this drug dealer could make use of that."

There is no requirement that the voting not be secret.  I favor a secret
vote but left that to be decided by others.  As I said in the outline:
"They also need transportation and facilities for meeting and voting.
These are mechanical details."

re: "Maybe the results of the groups of three will be published"

I think they should be.  As I said in the outline, "Furthermore, the
names of advancing candidates are announced as each level completes.
Members of the public with knowledge of unseemly acts by an advancing
candidate can present details for consideration at the next level.
Since, after the initial levels, the peers also seek advancement, they
won't overlook inappropriate behavior."

re: "... and in that case everyone can guess everyone else's opinions =>
better vote party x if you plan career in a x minded company."

The three participants in a group do not represent parties, they
represent themselves.  When you vote for a person, you do so because you
think that person is your best choice to give you the kind of government
you desire.  You may, or may not, know what party (if any) they belong
to.  Your job is to evaluate the person.  If you are cowed because one
of the people in your group is your boss (unlikely, but certainly
possible) you will vote like a coward.  If you have the courage of your
convictions, you will vote for the person you think most likely to give
you the kind of government you desire ... whether it happens to be your
boss, or not.

re: "As you can see my concerns and possible improvements that I'd like
to study are mainly in the areas of privacy of the votes and in
proportional representation."

As far as I'm concerned, the voting process should be secret.
Obviously, if one person gets two votes, it is obvious how the other two
people voted.  Until then, I see no reason why one should be required to
divulge their vote.

Isn't proportional representation a party concept; the idea that one
group of partisans should have a number of representatives proportional
to their part of the electorate?  As long as you think parties are
necessary, you will have to seek that goal.  The Active Democracy
concept does much better:  Each person elected represents the same
number of people ... and I think people are more important than parties,
by a long shot.

Fred