[Election-Methods] Strategy/polling simulation for simple methods

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Mon Mar 3 05:46:19 PST 2008

At 11:40 PM 1/21/2008, Kevin Venzke wrote:
>For each round of polls I can also note the rate of agreement between the
>poll winner and the sincere CW (if there is one), sincere MF (if there is
>one), and social utility maximizer given the voters who show up.

Other writers have long noted this, and I've, in particular, pointed
out that participation bias favors the SU maximizer (which I
generally call the "range" winner). Thus top-two runoff is a much
better method than often thought. The only problem is it's
vulnerability to center squeeze in the first round. Approval with
top-two runoff should do much better, likewise Range with pairwise
analysis and a runoff if there is conflict between the range winner
and a pairwise winner (beating the range winner0 and when there are
cycles, consideration of all of the cycle members, though that's not
a possibility I've explored much, it would be extraordinarily rare, I
suspect. Probably Range winner vs. any candidate beating the Range
winner pairwise would be quite enough.

Besides, there is a much better method: parliamentary elections
through deliberative process, with an Asset elected parliament, with
direct voting allowed by all electors (all those who hold votes from
the original secret ballot.) Deliberative process is, of course,
Condorcet compliant, and it allows the repeated balloting (v.
Robert's Rules of Order) which has the settling effect Venzke
describes. Fully democratic (direct participation or participation by
chosen "proxy," which is what it amounts to), creates peer assembly
as part of the same electoral process, efficient, fair, and
intelligent. Down side?

Let's see -- there will be logrolling (horrors!). Candidates will say
one thing and do another (double horrors! -- rule one: don't vote for
someone you don't trust, period. Under present systems you have to do
that, or you vote for someone you think you trust from media
impressions, but very few can vote for someone they would actually
hand their baby to for care without further exploration of who they
are in person. Only with Asset (or delegable proxy) can you actually
vote for the person you most trust, without any consideration
necessary of whether or not that person is "electable," because, by
voting for him or her, you *are* electing.

Turns out Lewis Carroll got the Asset part right, in the 1880's. What
more lurks behind the looking glass?

>The strategy used varies by the method. Approval is the easiest:
>Expectation can be perfectly calculated from the previous round of polls.
>Approve above expectation.

Right. This work has been done before (by Lanphier?). Though maybe
not with this kind of simulation. It is easily predictable on pure
theoretical grounds.

>FPP, antiplurality, and combinations involve estimating the value and
>likelihood of all ties that could be broken from a given vote.

I did analysis of Range Voting vs Approval strategy (expected outcome
for various votes), by looking only at the outcomes for votes which
actually affect the outcome (create or break tie). All other votes
affect the voters' overall expected utility for voting, but not the
expected utility between vote options. This allows an almost-exact
study of expected outcomes; this is published on the Range Voting
site. There was further work to be done, but, hey, I've got
Attention-deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, and one thing that means is
that I can do some serious work, with interesting results, at the
beginning, but finishing it, nailing it shut, and sending it off to
the publisher, almost never happens. Story of my life. Anyway, I've
got lots of nice nearly-woven scarves lying about. Trying to figure
out how to finish them. It will take help, that's clear. If I could
do it on my own, it would mean that my ADHD diagnosis wasn't
accurate, and that the doctors who prescribe me controlled substances
to treat it are misguided.

>Hopefully this is a somewhat interesting read. Any thoughts?

It *is* interesting, but I didn't read beyond what I commented on.
Someday I should. Kevin, would you like to work on a paper formally
publishing all this? We *can* get it published, and if it's
published, there will actually be some serious attention paid to it,
and, hey, if it's published, you can put it on Wikipedia. This list
is a form of peer-review, better, in fact, than the peer review
boards of most peer-reviewed publications, but, because there is no
decision made, it's all informal, it's wasted and without serious
consequence (except that all of us who are paying attention now know
something or know it better, but ... as far as informing a broader
audience, useless and mere navel-gazing among election method
aficionados. To move beyond this, as one suggestion, join and
*participate* (don't just wait for me to do something and then react)
in the Election Methods Interest Group,
electionmethods at yahoogroups.com). It's an FA/DP organization, which
has lots of consequences, among them that you can join, pick a proxy,
then go on no-mail or special notices status, and wait for your proxy
to ping you if your proxy thinks it needed. If you are interested in
election methods, there is *no* good reason not to join. You can even
be a supporter of -- horrors! -- IRV and join, and a fair number have.

Thanks for your work, Kevin.