[Election-Methods] RELEASE: Instant Runoff Voting (Chris Benham)

Terry Bouricius terryb at burlingtontelecom.net
Sun Jun 22 14:40:50 PDT 2008

A brief reaction to some of Abd's commentary on my simple example of how
Range can suffer from spoiler dynamics...

Abd wrote <snip>
A new candidate, C, is considered "fantastic" by 25/55 of the A
supporters. So they switch their votes. As would be expected, surely,
from such an introduction, results can change. But Bouricius has
made, actually, quite a preposterous assumption. He's assuming black
and white ratings for all other voters. Nearly half the A supporters
think C is so much better than A that they think he's better than A
by as much as A is than B, yet, *none* of the other voters are moved
by this candidate? So it is *not* an "entirely plausible scenario."
<snip>

Firstly, a scenario doesn't need to be  highly plausible to prove that a
method can violate a criterion. And yet, I repeat my assertion that my
example is highly plausible. To make it even more plausible I will also
assume some of the previous A voters who didn't think C was fantastic
thought C was somewhere between A and B in worthiness, so give C a 5, and
some others who are on the other side of issue X think C is worse than B,
so elevate B to 5 and give C 0. Of course for realism I could say some use
scores of 3, 7, etc., but the average of 5 just makes the math easier to
follow. I'll even throw in some modifications in how the B voters score
candidates with the entry of C for even more "realism." Let's say most (25
of 45) view A and C as clones (on the issues they care about) and give
both 0, but that ten voters agree on issue X with candidate C and ten
disagree on issue X, so ten give C a 5, but the other ten elevate A to a 5
so they can score C lower than A at 0. Thus we have results as follows
(I can send anyone who wants a spreadsheet showing this):
A=475
B= 500
C= 400
Thus in this completely plausible Range spoiler scenario, C has again
spoiled A's election and changed B from a loser to a winner.

Much of the rest of Abd's conjecture about likely voter behavior assumes
accurate polling information is widely available and voters use smart
strategic calculations in hopes of avoiding the spoiler problem. That same
hope sometimes allows a spoiler scenario to be avoided under traditional
plurality (FPTP) rules, but the fact remains that both methods are prone
to spoiler problems.

-Terry Bouricius
terryb at burlingtontelecom.net
(802) 864-8382