[Election-Methods] RELEASE: Instant Runoff Voting (Chris Benham)

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jun 22 11:18:24 PDT 2008

Yes, this was an excellent (clear basic) example as well. The
introduction of new candidates definitely changes the scoring of the
candidates by the voters.

One can study also voter specific absolute scoring that never changes
despite of changes in the candidate list. This is a theoretical
option that assumes fully sincere ratings based on some absolute
scale (where each voter has himself/herself frozen 0 and 10 at some
fixed positions, or alternatively the election organizer has given
those fixed points, e.g. 0="totally unacceptable", 10="best possible
person in the world"). The examples assumed normalized Range votes
(where voters typically use both 0 and 10 in their ballot).

In real life competitive elections normalized votes are of course
typical (in Range one may also get lots of exaggerated votes where
voter uses mostly 0 and 10 and seldom any intermediate values), which
makes the examples much more realistic than the theoretical absolute
scale approach that I mentioned above.

Juho