[Election-Methods] RELEASE: Instant Runoff Voting (Chris Benham)

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 12:33:44 PDT 2008

Chris,

This is what you are now claiming is a "fairness" condition:

... that to be fair, the winner of an election must not change with
the introduction of a new nonwinning candidate, even if the voters
change their votes for the prior (old) candidates.

As a voter, I would object to this "fairness" condition that requires
any different vote I cast after changing my mind about which
candidates to "approve" should not count towards who wins the election
contest.

In fact, I would oppose any voting method which did "not" violate
Chris' new condition that even when voters change their votes, the
winner should stay the same.

As his example shows, he changes the voters' votes as follows:

65 A
35 B

40 AB
25 A
35 B

Yet Chris expects the same candidate A to win in the second example,
where B win.s instead

So Chris's new "fairness" condition does not even require the
introduction of any third candidate, it just requires that the winner
of the election stay the same even if voters change their votes for
the same candidates.

I.e. In short, "the actual votes which voters cast should not count
towards who wins" is Chris' new fairness condition, which I hope that
every voting system will violate Chris' version of the IIA "fairness"
condition.

Cheers,

Kathy

Cheers,