[Election-Methods] RELEASE: Instant Runoff Voting (Chris Benham)

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 08:06:58 PDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 1:58 AM, Chris Benham <cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Apart from a passing reference to Range the only voting method I discussed
> or referred to was Approval.

OK Chris,

Let us look at your alleged two examples of "approval" voting. LOOK at
what you gave us:

65 A
35 B

then you gave
40 AB
25 CA
35 BC

What you did was CHANGE the votes of 40 of the 65 people who did not
approve of B in the first example, so that 40 of them all of a
suddenly approve of B now in the second example. Which is it?  Do
these 40 people approve of B or not?  Apparently you simply alter the
votes of your voters in the second example to get the result that you
want and hope that people will not notice your slight of hand.

In actuality, if these are the same voters both before and after you
add another candidate C, then your first example with two candidates,
to be consistent with your second example with three candidates should
be:

25 A
40 AB
35 B

so that B wins in the first example AND in the second when another
candidate is introduced.

Or alternatively, if you want to give an honest logically consistent
example by altering your second case with three candidates to be
consistent with the first case with two instead, it would be:

40 A
25 CA
35 BC

so that A wins in both the first and second example.

Your manipulating and changing the candidates whom voters approve of
all of a sudden when you add another candidate - well this type of
trick is very consistent with the tactics of Fair Vote and IRV
proponents and not only does not impress me, its lack of honesty
offends me.

Again Chris, I would like to be working on more productive pursuits
than discussing this nonsense with you.  Please try to find an honest
example where voters' opinions of the first two candidates do not
change when you add a third candidate and I believe that you will find
that you cannot

Cheers,

Katy

--

Kathy Dopp

The material expressed herein is the informed product of the author
Kathy Dopp's fact-finding and investigative efforts. Dopp is a
Mathematician, Expert in election audit mathematics and procedures; in
exit poll discrepancy analysis; and can be reached at

P.O. Box 680192
Park City, UT 84068
phone 435-658-4657

http://utahcountvotes.org
http://electionmathematics.org
http://electionarchive.org

History of Confidence Election Auditing Development & Overview of
Election Auditing Fundamentals
http://electionarchive.org/ucvAnalysis/US/paper-audits/History-of-Election-Auditing-Development.pdf

Vote Yes on HR5036
http://electionarchive.org/ucvInfo/US/legislation/SummaryFlyer5036.pdf

Voters Have Reason to Worry
http://utahcountvotes.org/UT/UtahCountVotes-ThadHall-Response.pdf

"Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body
and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day," wrote
Thomas Jefferson in 1816