[Election-Methods] Partisan Politics + Candidate selection

Fred Gohlke fredgohlke at verizon.net
Thu Jun 12 11:04:06 PDT 2008

Good Afternoon, Kevin

When reading, did you see the

"[Election-Methods] Selecting Leaders From The People"

post from February 4th?  A major impediment to selecting our leaders
FROM the people is the role of political parties, and that led to the
discussion on this thread.

The cited post outlined a method of selecting candidates by sifting
through the entire electorate.  It is predicated on the fact that an
individual's interest in politics waxes and wanes throughout their
lives.  It describes a method by which anyone, at any time in their
life, may pursue an interest in politics to the full extent of their
desire and ability.

The method lets the people select representatives because of their
individual qualities, rather than adherence to the dictates of a creed.
  It has the effect you suggest because candidates do not need party
backing.  They are elected on their merit.

When I drafted the outline, I called it 'Active Democracy', but at the
suggestion of a friend interested in improving the quality of those who
speak for us in government, I plan to change that label to 'Practical
Democracy'.  He pointed out one of its great attributes is that it's a
practical way to implement genuine democracy.  I like his statement that ...

"The only radical thing about Practical Democracy is that it is actually
democratic."

I hope you enjoy the ideas and can offer a thoughtful critique.

Fred