[Election-Methods] Partisan Politics + Candidate selection

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Tue Jun 10 20:04:23 PDT 2008

Hi,

I read your (Fred's) link and most of James'.

The selection model rings true in my opinion. But it also suits me for it
to ring true, since I prefer to imagine that the voter elects a
representative perhaps not based on detailed policy stances, and then the
elected representative does as he thinks is best with a great degreee of
independence.

--- Fred Gohlke <fredgohlke at verizon.net> a écrit :
> I have, as is probably evident by now, a bias against partisan politics,
> which I hold to be the central cause of society's political problems.

I may have to read your past posts to see what you feel are promising
directions in fixing this.

For elections it seems to me you need to arrange things so that the party
needs the winnable candidate, rather than the candidate needing the party's
backing. There should be no special prize for the party who wins a majority
of the seats (Congress in a system with a veto power is already an example,
but also the fact that a minority in the Senate can hose things if they
really want to, makes it less crucial to give your preferred party the
majority). Barrier to entry should be somewhat less, so at least a third
major candidate can have a chance to win when the two major parties select
candidates who are out of touch with the voters.

Just some ideas.

Kevin Venzke