[Election-Methods] Partisan Politics + Candidate selection

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Mon Jun 9 17:36:04 PDT 2008

At 01:49 PM 6/6/2008, James Gilmour wrote:
>You MAY find it interesting to see what was said about candidate
>selection in a different but similar political system.  The
>Electoral Reform Society asked an independent Commission to look at
>this whole topic.  You'll find the report (published 2003, PDF
>222 KB) here:
>  http://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/downloads/Candidate%20Report.pdf
>
>James

While that report is interesting, the approach is radically
different, and "selection" for Mansbridge has a quite different
meaning. She is writing about two different approaches to
representation, a "selection model," where, in the image she uses,
the voter notices someone else walking down the same road, apparently
going to the same place, and asks this person to represent him or
her. I.e., voters voting for someone whom they expect will naturally
want to do the same things as the voter.

The alternative model, the "sanctions model," is one where the
elected official is viewed as seeking to maintain office and will,
pursuing this goal, attempt to please as many voters as possible,
with the voters monitoring performance and "sanctioning" failure to
function in a pleasing manner.

She notes the advantages and disadvantages of each model.....