[Election-Methods] Partisan Politics + a method proposal

Fred Gohlke fredgohlke at verizon.net
Fri Jun 6 07:55:14 PDT 2008

Good Morning, Dave

I think I owe you an apology.  Somehow, I failed to make myself clear.
What I sought to do was put some marks on a board so you (and others)
could tell me how those marks should be changed to create a sound
electoral process.  I anticipated differences of opinion and planned to
seek the reasons behind the conflicting assertions.  It was my hope that
I could work out an appealing resolution.

However naively, I believed we'd be able, among us, to devise a sound
electoral process.  I'd like to drop the whole thing.  It was an
unwisely ambitious plan.

You might be interested to know I just learned of a paper written by
Professor Jane Mansbridge of the John F. Kennedy School of Government at
Harvard University.  It concerns candidate selection and is the first
work I've seen that provides an academic basis for the electoral method
I've outlined on this site.  If you'd like to read the paper, it can be
downloaded without charge from:

http://ksgnotes1.harvard.edu/Research/wpaper.nsf/rwp/RWP08-010

Fred