[Election-Methods] I Need Reviews of "Ten Reasons to Oppose IRV" (Chris Benham)

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 18:39:33 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 5:04 PM,
> Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 09:19:36 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Chris Benham <cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au>
>
> Kathy Dopp has persisted in producing a paper on IRV.

FYI,

Due to the responses by computer scientists and from some "Fair Vote"
IRV proponents, to the first version of this paper I am now working on
a second version to release next Monday that:

1. uses a new title "Worrisome Realities Mar Alternate Voting Method -
17 Flaws and 3 Benefits of "Instant Runoff Voting" to reflect the
addition of other flaws of IRV methods suggested by computer
scientists,

2. differentiates between "ranked choice voting" and "instant runoff
voting" methods, (in other words differentiates between the ballot
style and the ballot counting method),

3. includes a new discussion the available alternative voting methods
in appendix E, contributed to by computer scientists who are voting
system experts and also by Abd ul Lomax who is on this list,

4. describes an "IRV-like" solution that would remove some of IRV's
counting flaws,

5. provides a more precise definition of "spoiler", and

6. adds an appendix to rebut some of the alleged rebuttals to the
first paper by Fair Vote activists (with help also from Abd ul and
others)

--

So, might as well wait for that version next week to review it.

Cheers,

Kathy