[Election-Methods] [english 94%] PR favoring racial minorities

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Wed Jul 30 23:19:19 PDT 2008

Hello all,

although I did not follow all of the discussion so far, the following
question strikes me:

Why the hell do you care about proportional representation of minorities
when the representative body itself does not decide with a method that
ensures a proportional distribution of power?

It is of no help for a minority to be represented proportionally when
still a mere 51% majority can make all decisions!

So, if you really care about the rights of minorities, the consequence
would be to also promote some non-majoritarian, truly democratic
decision method for the representative body itself. Examples of such
methods have been discussed here.

Yours, Jobst