[Election-Methods] Matrix voting and cloneproof MMP questions

Markus Schulze markus.schulze at alumni.tu-berlin.de
Fri Jul 25 23:26:35 PDT 2008

Dear Chris Benham,

you wrote (25 July 2008):

 > I don't completely understand your papers, but your
 > suggested system seems to consider the individual
 > voter's district vote and party vote separately
 > (i.e. each without regard to the other) so I can't
 > see how you "reweight voters" or have a completely
 > fair and satisfactory "top-up" system.

The district ballot and the party ballot are on
the same sheet of paper, so that it is possible
to "reweight" the party votes of those voters who
(1) created overhang seats or (2) helped independent
candidates getting elected with their district votes.
See page 6 of this paper:

http://m-schulze.webhop.net/schulze5.pdf

Markus Schulze