[Election-Methods] delegate cascade

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 21 12:53:12 PDT 2008

Hi,

Some more comments and questions on the properties of the proposed
method.

1) All voters are candidates and it is possible that all voters
consider themselves to be the best candidate. Therefore the method
may start from all candidates having one vote each (their own vote).
Maybe only after some candidates have numerous votes and the voter
himself has only one vote still, then the voter gives up voting for
himself and gives his vote to some of the frontrunners. How do you
expect the method to behave from this point of view?

2) Let's say that the preferences of voter A are A>B>C>D>E. At some
point he decides to vote for his second preference (B) instead of
himself. B's preferences are B>D>etc. At some (later) point B decides
to vote for his second preference D. A is however not happy with that
the vote now goes directly to D (instead of C that was better). He
changes his vote and votes for C. The point here is that it may be
that many voters will vote directly the leading candidates instead of
letting the voters in longer chains (according to their own
preferences) determine where the vote ends at. The reason may be as
above or maybe the voter simply prefers to vote directly for the
leading/best candidates instead of being at the long branches of the
tree (away from the main streams close to the root of the trees where
the decision making appears to take place). Controlling one's own
vote may also give the voter some additional negotiating power. The
end result may be that the cascade chains may tend to be short rather
than long. The same question here. Is this ok and how do you expect
the method to behave?

3) In theory the method may also end up in a loop. There could be
three voters (A, B, C) with opinions A: A>B>C, B: B>C>A and C: C>A>B.
If A votes for A, B votes for B and C votes for A, then B has an
incentive to change his vote to C in the hope that also C will vote
for himself after this move. That would improve the result from B's
(as well as C's) point of view (from A to C). But as a result now A
has a similar incentive to vote for B that is to him better than C.
And the story might continue forever. This kind of loops would
probably be rare. But do you think this is acceptable or should there
be some limitations that would eliminate or slow down possible
continuous changes in the votes? In this looped case is possible that
when the voters note the loop they are capable of negotiating some
compromise solution (e.g. A and C agree that C will get something in
return if he sticks to voting for A).

Juho Laatu