[Election-Methods] delegate cascade

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Mon Jul 21 04:36:43 PDT 2008

Michael Allan wrote:
> Hello to the list,

Hello, and welcome.

> I'm a software engineer, currently developing an online electoral
> system.  I was in another discussion (link at bottom) and a subscriber
> recommended this list to me.  I have a few questions, if anyone is
> able to help.
>
> A key component of the electoral system (to explain) is what I call a
> "delegate cascade" voting mechanism.  It is intended for use in
> continuous elections (open to recasting).  The overall aim is to
> support consensus building.  In this mechanism:
>
>   ...a 'delegate' is a participant who both receives votes, like a
>   candidate, and casts a vote of her own, like a voter.  But when a
>   delegate casts her vote, it carries with it those received.  And so
>   on... Passing from delegate to delegate, the votes flow together and
>   gather in volume - they cascade - like raindrops down the branches
>   of a tree.  New voters are not restricted in their choices, but may
>   vote for anyone, their unsolicited votes serving to nominate new
>   candidates and to recruit new participants into the election.
>
>   http://zelea.com/project/votorola/d/outline.xht
>
> I can only cite 3 references for the mechanism (Pivato, Rodriguez et
> al., and myself) all from 2007.  Does anyone know of an earlier
> source?  Is anyone else working with this mechanism?  Have there been
> discussions along similar lines?

That sounds very much like Delegable Proxy, which Abd says was first
thought of by Dodgson (Lewis Carroll). In DP, as far as I understand it,
voters associate with proxies (delegates in your terminology) and the
proxies accumulate votes from those voters. A proxy is then just like
any other voter, and may vote directly or pass the ballot bulk (in sum
or part) to yet others.

If you remove the ability of proxies to pass the votes on, and instead
let the proxies decide upon the composition of a traditional assembly,
you get Asset Voting. However, that doesn't go very well with your
continuous election idea, since the assembly presumably has to reside
for a given period, just like one that would be directly elected by the
voters.

There's also the council democracy system that, I think, is used in some
unions. There you have local councils that elect among their number to
regional councils that elect among their number to national councils..
the number of "levels" is logarithmic with respect to the population,
but again that's not very continuous, and unless you use PR, it's
possible for a cleverly positioned minority to take control of the
system. Consider the case of each council electing a single person to
the next level. Then having a majority at the top will let you control
the system. Having a majority of the councils required to have a
majority at the top will also let you do so, etc, letting a minority of
((floor(k/2)+1)/k)^n, where k is the council size and n is the number of
levels, control the system in the worst case.

As for others using Delegable Proxy (or "liquid democracy"), if that's
what your scheme is, the Wikipedia page on DP
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_voting#Delegated_voting ) states
that it's used by a local Swedish party called "Demoex" (Democratic
Experiment). Abd has also said that it's used in corporate governance,
but I'm unfamiliar with whether that implementation lets proxies
transfer votes further.