[Election-Methods] delegate cascade

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Sun Jul 20 17:29:32 PDT 2008

Hello to the list,

I'm a software engineer, currently developing an online electoral
system.  I was in another discussion (link at bottom) and a subscriber
recommended this list to me.  I have a few questions, if anyone is
able to help.

A key component of the electoral system (to explain) is what I call a
"delegate cascade" voting mechanism.  It is intended for use in
continuous elections (open to recasting).  The overall aim is to
support consensus building.  In this mechanism:

  ...a 'delegate' is a participant who both receives votes, like a
  candidate, and casts a vote of her own, like a voter.  But when a
  delegate casts her vote, it carries with it those received.  And so
  on... Passing from delegate to delegate, the votes flow together and
  gather in volume - they cascade - like raindrops down the branches
  of a tree.  New voters are not restricted in their choices, but may
  vote for anyone, their unsolicited votes serving to nominate new
  candidates and to recruit new participants into the election.

  http://zelea.com/project/votorola/d/outline.xht

I can only cite 3 references for the mechanism (Pivato, Rodriguez et
al., and myself) all from 2007.  Does anyone know of an earlier
source?  Is anyone else working with this mechanism?  Have there been
discussions along similar lines?

Please bring me up to date,
--
Michael Allan

Toronto, 647-436-4521
http://zelea.com/

P.S.  The other discussion thread (a broader topic) is:

  Read any useful research lately, unanswered research questions?
  http://groups.dowire.org/r/topic/6QthnRysw5lJmRGqnPAy5y