[Election-Methods] [english 92%] Re: a strategy-free range voting variant?

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Sun Jul 20 08:29:24 PDT 2008

Dear Peter,

You wrote:
> Let's imagine the following votes from the deciding voters:
>
> 10 million:   Nader: 10   Gore:  5   Bush:  0
> 41 million:   Gore:  10   Nader: 5   Bush:  0
> 49 million:   Bush:  10   Gore:  5   Nader: 0
>
> Let's say that the lottery winner was Bush.

That doesn't matter since not the actual outcome of the lottery but the
lottery itself is the benchmark. By this I mean that the rating of the
lottery is to be computed as the expected rating of the lottery winner
given the lottery probabilities.

Never the less, this doesn't change much for your criticism:

 > The real winner
> is going to be Gore, with 705 million voting money units,
> while Bush has only 490 million. The total rating difference
> is 215 million. Do you want to modify each deciding voter's
> account with that big amount?

I must admit that I apparently only though about small electorated like
some dozens of people. Now I see that we have to do something about this.

One way could be to use not equal sized groups of benchmark, deciding,
and compensating voters, but use only a small number of deciding voters.
But that would diminish the method's efficiency considerably.

Another idea is to change the transfer formula so that the transfers get
smaller in landslide elections. The reason why I have the hope that this
should be possible without destroying the strategy-freeness is that
there is already some other transfer formula that works: the Clarke tax
- just as you said.

The Clarke tax means: Transfer the amount I specified only for those
deciding voters who are "swing" voters, that is, for each voter for
which the removal of her ballot would change the winner. If we use this
scheme instead of mine, then a deciding voter's account is always
adjusted by some negative value between zero and her rating difference
between the actual winner and the alternative winner which would result
without her ballot. This is a well-known scheme which is discussed in
the paper I cited.

However, as Warren's webpage nicely points out, the Clarke tax also has
a problem with large electorates: It will almost never have to be paid
since the probability that there are swing voters is very small.

So, I'm pretty sure that there must be a middle way between the far too
seldom transfers of the Clarke tax and the far too large transfers I
suggested, especially since these both schemes don't differ in the
amount of the transfer but only differ in the condition when it is
applied...

Any suggestions are welcome!

Yours,
Jobst