[Election-Methods] IRV-Tournament

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Tue Jul 15 14:30:41 PDT 2008

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 14:38:32 -0000
Bruce R. Gilson wrote:
> --- In RangeVoting at yahoogroups.com, Dave Ketchum <davek at ...> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 20:04:19 -0000 Bruce R. Gilson wrote:
>>
>>>[...]
>>>

>>>I wish I could be so sure that cycles are going to be rare. That's the
>>>one thing that scares me about Condorcet methods. A sort
>>>of "Obama beats Clinton, Clinton beats McCain, McCain beats
>>>Obama" cycle could really cause a scandal.
>>>

>>Such should not result in a scandal, assuming valid counts of the
>>ballots.  They simply describe a near tie in power, such as A>B>C>A.
>>
>>Note that while single voters can vote any two of the three
>>inequalities, it takes multiple voters in about equal strengths to
>>vote all three together.
>

> My very point is that last sentence, except for the "about equal strengths." I
> am not very sure how equal the 6 numbers have to be: those voting ABC,
> ACB, BAC, BCA, CAB, CBA. Certainly not all 6 need be close, though
> perhaps some combination does; I have not worked out the arithmetic.
>
> As soon as you put in some cycle-resolving system, you will downgrade the
> preferences of some of these 6 groups -- obviously you have to, because
> that's the only way to break the cycle. And the people in those groups will
> feel that the election mechanism is disregarding their preferences (or at
> least weighting them less than others' preferences). And that will be the
> scandal.

Saying it more clearly, for A+B+C as the simplest cycle:

Given six equal sized groups of voters:
      A>B, B>C, and C>A can do an A>B>C>A cycle with 2/3 of the
strength of each group pushing the cycle forward and 1/3 acting as a
brake.
      A>C, C>B, and B>A can do a similar A>C>B>A cycle.
      Combine the two cycles and you still have a three member cycle,
again with a tie.

Stray far enough from equality and the weakest candidate has no
effect, leaving a two candidate race,

In between you have a headache for which the rules BETTER be decided
on before the election.  This does not require favoring any groups -
vote counts are the proper basis for the decisions.

"at highest a flaw in the laws of nature"?  No, but could be a flaw in
our understanding of such.
                  If you want peace, work for justice.