[Election-Methods] IRV-Tournament

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sat Jul 12 19:53:09 PDT 2008

My points are that:
      Condorcet presents the SAME ballot rules to the voter as IRV -
simply relaxed a trifle - a voter could vote by IRV rules, successfully.
      While Condorcet analyzes the ballot more like what would pass for
tournament rules, it will usually agree with IRV as to winner:
           IRV cares only about front runners, discarding what it sees as
the weakest of these and declaring the strongest remaining as winner.
           Condorcet compares every pair of candidates as in a tournament
(how many A>B (A ranked and B ranked lower or not ranked) vs B>A (B ranked
and A ranked lower or not ranked).  The candidate winning every one of its
pairs is winner.  Front runners that IRV looks for are in a good position
to win such a Condorcet tournament.

Carrying IRV's front runner emphasis to extremes, both would declare A the
winner in the following:
      2 A
      1 B>A
      1 C>A
      3 D>A
      4 E>A
      10 F>A
      20 G>A  Point here is that this constructed pattern let A beat G
21>20 by IRV rules, while many somewhat similar patterns would have let A
win in Condorcet - which does not care if A is ever a front runner - only
about its complete liking.

Implementing programming differs among these election methods - but they
are not especially complex, beyond ability to read ranked voting, and
voters need not worry about details.

IRV needs an array with a member for each candidate, counting front
runners.  Once the least popular is identified, the ballots need
recounting of who is front runners among those not yet discarded.

Condorcet needs an NxN matrix to count all the A>B and B>A values, but
only needs to read each ballot one time for this.  Ok to read ballots into
multiple matrices, such as one per precinct, for such can be summed into a
result matrix.

SHOULD be of interest to voters that the matrix describes liking levels
among all the pairs of candidates - useful for analysis and planning for
future.

Condorcet cycles are near ties of three or more candidates such that each
almost wins - A except for B>A, B except for C>B, and C except for A>C.
Voters need to know this much, and programmers need to be able to defend
their resolution to those voters asking for such.