[Election-Methods] Matrix voting and cloneproof MMP questions

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Tue Jul 8 05:43:31 PDT 2008

Rob LeGrand wrote:
> Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:
>> (On a related note, has anyone tried to use Range with LeGrand's
>> Equilibrium Average instead of plain average?)
>
> I don't recommend using Equilibrium Average (which I usually call AAR
> DSV, for Average-Approval-Rating DSV) to elect winner(s) from a finite
> number of candidates.  AAR DSV is nonmanipulable when selecting a single
> outcome from a one-dimensional range, just as median (if implemented
> carefully) is, but it is manipulable when used as a scoring function in
> a way similar to how Balinski and Laraki proposed using median:
>
> http://rangevoting.org/MedianVrange.html

You use movie site data for your AAR-DSV examples. Does AAR-DSV
manipulability mean that a movie site that uses it would face difficulty
telling users which movie is the most popular or highest rated? The
manipulability proofs wouldn't harm them as strongly (since very few
users rate all of the movies), but they would in principle remain,
unless I'm missing something...