[Election-Methods] Matrix voting and cloneproof MMP questions

Rob LeGrand honky1998 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 6 16:06:17 PDT 2008

Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:
> (On a related note, has anyone tried to use Range with LeGrand's
> Equilibrium Average instead of plain average?)

I don't recommend using Equilibrium Average (which I usually call AAR
DSV, for Average-Approval-Rating DSV) to elect winner(s) from a finite
number of candidates.  AAR DSV is nonmanipulable when selecting a single
outcome from a one-dimensional range, just as median (if implemented
carefully) is, but it is manipulable when used as a scoring function in
a way similar to how Balinski and Laraki proposed using median:

http://rangevoting.org/MedianVrange.html

For more on AAR DSV, please see chapter 3 of my now-completed
dissertation:

http://www.cse.wustl.edu/~legrand/dissertation.pdf

--
Rob LeGrand, psephologist