[Election-Methods] Matrix voting and cloneproof MMP questions

Terry Bouricius terryb at burlingtontelecom.net
Sun Jul 6 16:07:53 PDT 2008

On the question of whether electing a subgroup should be proportional or
majoritarian...I often make a distinction on two factors: 1) Is the
association voluntary (in which dissatisfied minorities can easily
withdraw to join or form a different association), and 2) Is the function
of the association directional or goal oriented, vs. service, maintenance
or regulatory-oriented (a political party that wants to move society in a
direction, vs. an alumni association).

Voluntary associations that have a directional goals (such as  a platform)
can sometimes be best served by majoritarian or centrist internal election
method, such as electing party leaders, Whereas compulsory associations
that are engaged in maintenance (a government) are best served by
proportional methods.

Terry