[Election-Methods] USING Condorcet

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 1 22:51:52 PDT 2008

Ok, election with three candidates only is the most risky from burial
point of view since then it is easy to identify the relative position
of different candidates (one winner (A), one loser but powerful
enough to try the strategy (B), one loser that is weak enough to be
used for burial (C)).

My point is that in real life large public elections strategies are
much more difficult to implement than in theoretical examples on
paper. I'll list some points that indicate why burial is not very
likely to happen or be successful.

- In most cases the set-up is not as clear as in the theoretical
burial examples. There may be more than three candidates. The
relative position of the candidates may be unclear.

- Use of the burial strategy indicates that the runner-up thinks he
will lose. In a situation where there are two leading candidates of
same strength burial would not make sense since the strategy can not
be kept secret and supporters of both candidates would use it, and
that would just elect C. I think I have actually never seen a runner
up candidate that would indicate before the election that he will
lose to the other main candidate (and therefore wants his supporters
resort to strategic voting).

- A positive campaign for one's own candidate (and potentially
negative against the competitors) is thus the typical case. Often
even the C candidate presents himself as a potential winner all the
way until the election day.

- If B is so far from victory that all his supporters may safely give
up hope of winning the election and turn to the strategic plan he may
already have too little supporters to run the strategy successfully.

- The available polls are inaccurate.

- The opinions are likely to change before the election (when
compared to the available polls).

- The strategic candidate may lose votes due to the plot (depends a
bit on the society and if it approves or disapproves the
strategists). The campaigns of A and C will probably take maximal
benefit of B's bad morale and B's tendency to give up the hope of
victory already before the election.

- The leading candidate may gain extra votes since he is declared to
be the leading candidate before the election. On the other hand
elections are surprisingly often close to 50-50 at the election day
(which would make the strategy again unwise).

- It is not possible to control the voting behaviour of thousands or
millions of voters.

- It is possible that if too many B supporters will follow the
strategy C will win. It is impossible to control the number of
strategic voters when this risk exists.

- Many voters probably will not understand the strategy or are not
listening and therefore will not follow it.

- Also some A and C supporters may follow the strategy.

- Many B voters may not use such strategy since they feel it is not
right (also this may depends on if the society approves or
disapproves the strategists).

- Many B supporters certainly believe that B will win (this kind of
optimism is common and also strategically wise). It is not within
their interest to declare B as a loser and resort to strategic voting
and a corresponding campaign.

- The election is likely to contain all kind of votes. In the case of
three candidates that means A>B, A>C, A, B>A, B>C, B, C>A, C>B, C,
A=B, A=C, B=C. The preference strengths are also different, e.g.
A>>B>C vs. A>B>>C. And the voters may have different rationale and
morale. All this makes the system less easy to manage than in the
clean cut theoretical examples.

- For many voters the risk of backfiring may be a reason not to use
the strategy (the actual strength of C is unknown, possible use of
strategy by the A supporters is unknown etc.).

I'll skip writing a concrete example this time since there is already
plenty of text here. A detailed analysis with the numbers is complex
due to the numerous uncertainties that I listed above.

Juho