[Election-Methods] Which monotonicity?

Chris Benham chrisjbenham at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jan 15 12:34:08 PST 2008

Stéphane Rouillon wrote:

>I am fed up a bit with that discussion about non-monotonicity because it
>depends how
>monotonicity is defined.  IRV is monotonic when you consider adding or
>retrieving
>ballots with you preffered candidate as first choice. IRV is non-monotonic
>when
>you consider highering or lowering the positions of your preferred candidate
>on several ballots...
>
>Maybe some concision and precision in the definitions would help.
>Could we use 2 different names for monotonicities please?
>Or maybe they exist and I don't know these definitions...
>
>S. Rouillon

In this 1996 paper  Douglas Woodall defines and discusses some different
versions of  "monotonicity":

http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/Monotonicity_criterion

http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/Mono-add-top_criterion

Two that Woodall only mentions in that paper,  "Mono-append" and
"Mono-add-plump"  are very very
weak (meaning very easy to meet) and not doing so is (in my book) very
very silly.

"Mono-add-plump" says that adding ballots that plump for X (i.e.
"bullet-votes" for X) should never reduce
X's chance of winning.

"Mono-append" says  that if some ballots that didn't rank X (above
equal-bottom) are changed so that now
X is ranked immediately below the candidates that previously were the
only ones ranked (above equal-bottom),
then X's chance of winning must not be reduced.

(These definitions are my paraphrasing)

Chris Benham