[Election-Methods] Which monotonicity?

Stéphane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Tue Jan 15 11:28:43 PST 2008

I am fed up a bit with that discussion about non-monotonicity because it
depends how
monotonicity is defined.  IRV is monotonic when you consider adding or
retrieving
ballots with you preffered candidate as first choice. IRV is non-monotonic
when
you consider highering or lowering the positions of your preferred candidate
on several ballots...

Maybe some concision and precision in the definitions would help.
Could we use 2 different names for monotonicities please?
Or maybe they exist and I don't know these definitions...

S. Rouillon