[Election-Methods] RE : Range voting simulations

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Mon Feb 4 14:16:41 PST 2008

Ian,

--- Ian Fellows <ifellows at ucsd.edu> a écrit :
> Kevin,
> The candidates that are considered frontrunners are not independent of
> voter
> preferences. In fact front runner status can be thought of as based
> solely
> on voter preferences. Strategy in a voting system is best thought of in
> terms of game theory rather than as a single "best response strategy" to
> an
> arbitrarily chosen "front runner" and "runner up."

When you write a simulation you can suppose that voters get their
information however you want them to. Obviously in the real world we would
hope there would be some connection between voter preferences and who ends
up being considered the frontrunners. But I already agreed in my first
response to you that it is not likely that perceived frontrunners are
determined arbitrarily in real life.

When you arbitrarily determine the frontrunners and ask the voters to
determine their strategy based on this arbitrary information, you can see
how the method behaves then voters have very flawed information. It is a
"worst case" as I already said. Obviously this is not the sole situation
under which strategy should be studied.

Kevin Venzke