[Election-Methods] Range voting simulations

Ian Fellows ifellows at ucsd.edu
Mon Feb 4 13:16:47 PST 2008

Kevin,
The candidates that are considered frontrunners are not independent of voter
preferences. In fact front runner status can be thought of as based solely
on voter preferences. Strategy in a voting system is best thought of in
terms of game theory rather than as a single "best response strategy" to an
arbitrarily chosen "front runner" and "runner up."

Ian
http://thefell.googlepages.com

Hi Ian,

--- Ian Fellows <ifellows at ucsd.edu> a ecrit :
> Kevin,
>
> That seems to me to be an unrealistic assumption of voter behavior.

With my implementation it isn't about voter behavior, but see below:

> Strategic votes under this definition of "frontrunner" could then be
> based
> on the two least likely to be elected candidates. Admittedly, finding a
> strategic equilibrium for a voting system is difficult, and in most cases
> computationally expensive. The solution to this problem is not to pick
> two
> candidates at random, and base your strategies on the assumption that
> these
> are the most viable candidates. This is especially true of approval
> voting,
> as there is no non-strategic voting pattern (that is not to say that a
> strategic voting pattern is necessarily dishonest).

Perhaps I didn't understand your original post. I thought the identities of
candidates 0 and 1 were fixed, and did not vary by voter. Thus the fact
that candidates 0 and 1 are considered "frontrunners" is not a strategic
decision made by the voters, it is the information provided to them.

Kevin Venzke