[Election-Methods] D2MAC

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Sun Feb 3 14:55:33 PST 2008

Jobst,
as I was thinking about D2MAC, this variant based on approval ballots came to me:
1. Initialize a list L with the names of all of the candidates.
2. While more than one name remains on the list L and at least one ballot remains to be drawn ...
2a.  Draw a ballot B at random.
2b. If B approves exactly one name on list L, then remove the other names from the list.
2c. If B approves none of the names on the list, then strike all of the names from L except the one or ones with greatest approval.
(EndWhile)
3.  From the name or names that remain on list L choose one at random.
4.  Elect the candidate whose name was chosen in step 3.
(End of Procedure)
Though this method is slightly more complex than D2MAC it still preserves the asymptotic proportionality property of D2MAC while perhaps giving slightly more incentive to approve compromise candidates.
My Best,
Forest