[EM] Why We Shouldn't Count Votes with Machines

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Thu Aug 28 12:32:18 PDT 2008

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 22:16:53 -0600 Kathy Dopp wrote:
>  From: Dave Ketchum <davek at clarityconnect.com>
>
>>Subject: Re: [EM] Why We Shouldn't Count Votes with Machines
>>
>>Regrettably James is making an incorrect analysis of the problem.
>

> I believe that is a mischaracterization because James' prior email
> simply cited some recent articles.

And James says so now.  Still, it was easy to assume his references
implied agreement with their obvious position.

The references that you provided below seemed to have the same slant
as his.

>>BETTER to accept that computers are truly as dependable as their
>>successful use elsewhere demonstrates,
>

> So since computers work well for problems like banking where errors
> are easily detected and corrected due to a lack of anonymity and paper
> receipts and banking statements, then we should use computers for
> anonymously deposited e-ballots where errors can be virtually
> impossible to detect and even more impossible (if that were possible)
> to correct?  Not good logic unless you think that we should
> anonymously deposit our money into banks without any receipts or bank
> statements and *trust* bankers blindly too.

Except for the anonymity that we properly provide for voters, you have
it backwards:

That anonymity is not a license to produce election equipment:
      Without attention to getting the details right, including
minimizing likelihood of trouble from human errors.
      Including deliberate falsification of results.

Nor is it a license to purchase such without attention to the quality
being supplied.

> Here are some recent articles on this topic (all these articles were I
> believe published in August 2008):

> Kathy
                  If you want peace, work for justice.