[EM] [Election-Methods] [english 94%] PR favoring racialminorities

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Aug 23 13:55:35 PDT 2008

On Aug 22, 2008, at 11:53 , Raph Frank wrote:

> On 8/22/08, Juho <juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> The advertisements of the candidates have the number clearly
>> visible in them, and there are lists of all candidates (including
>> their
>> party affiliation and number) available at the voting site and
>> elsewhere.
>
> I would also add the list to the private part of the the polling
> booth itself,
> rather than having to ask.  You would just look at the piece of paper
> when you are filling out your vote.

I think this is the common practice. Early voting has however become
very popular, and in that case since you can vote anywhere it is not
any more practical to have all the lists inside the booth.

> However, I guess if you know who you are going to vote for in advance,
> you will have looked it up.

I guess that is typical. It is not hard to remember the number of
one's favourite candidate.

> Are there any issues with people not writing clearly/disputed
> ballots.  It
> would seem better to have one box per number.

My understanding is that that is very marginal. Some numbers can be
written so that they can be mixed with some other numbers (1, 7, 4).
There are recommendations on how to draw the numbers so that their
interpretation is clear.

Juho