[EM] [Election-Methods] [english 94%] PR favoring racialminorities

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 20 14:17:04 PDT 2008

On Aug 18, 2008, at 18:50 , Raph Frank wrote:

> I think a system that requires people to rank 10-20+
> candidates is going to run into trouble.

A system that _requires_ people to rank tens of candidates is in
trouble. Also an STV election that has tens of candidates but allows
also shorter votes may have problems.

The favourite party of the voter could have 20 candidates. Let's say
that they are all about equally strong. Based on the size of the
party we expect two of the candidates to be elected. In order to
guarantee that one's vote will benefit the party and will not run out
of candidates during the counting process one would have to rank all
those 20 candidates.

Voters might be too lazy to do that. Some default (or explicit)
inheritance to the party could help. The reaction of the parties
could be to reduce the number of candidates.

Juho