[EM] [Election-Methods] [english 94%] PRfavoringracialminorities

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 17:13:36 PDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 11:33 PM, Juho <juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Maybe one could force the voting
> power of different candidates within some agreed range. That could be done
> by cutting only the power of the strongest representatives and forwarding
> their excess votes to the nearest group (or as indicated by the STV
> ballots)

Right.  However, there is an argument that having an assembly with
variable vote size actually increases diversity. There is
little extra diversity in having 10 candidates with roughly the
same viewpoint.

I think the added complexity of variable voting strength is probably not
worth the effort.  Ofc, with public voting it isn't as large a problem and
also, as I said in my last post, if the weights are reasonably close together,
then it only matters if the votes are nearly balanced.